Each semester, the students in the English Department here at UMBC work tirelessly to hone their crafts, pushing themselves to new heights of excellence and producing work that continues to impress. Franklin D. Roosevelt once said, after all, that "[h]appiness lies in the joy of achievement and the thrill of creative effort." It is that consistent achievement that we celebrate in recognizing seven students for exceptional work in the field of English this year:
- The Braly Award for Nonfiction: Morgan Zepp for her essay, "Lifelines"
- The Braly Award for Fiction: Zoe Russo for her story, "Alone Together"
- The Braly Award for Poetry: Emily Grace for her poem, "Snow"
- The Robert G. Shedd Award: Jackie Airhart
- The Journalism Award: James Gallagher
- The Outstanding Contributions in English Award: Kelly Purtell
- The Landon Award: Michelle Mattern
Congratulations once again to all of our award recipients for all of the great work that they have produced.