600 Level Courses
- ENGL 601: Methods of Interpretation (Core Course)
- ENGL 604: Advanced Topics in Medieval and Early Modern Literature (Category C Graduate)
- ENGL 631: Contemporary Issues: Texts and Contexts (Category A Graduate)
- Topic: Seminar in Visual Literacy
- ENGL 648: Seminar in Literature and Culture (Category B Graduate)
- ENGL 669: Advanced Topics in Literature, Race, and Ethnicity (Category B Graduate)
- Topic: Afrofuturism
From slave narratives to science fiction, black literature contests the boundaries of the real. Otherworldly visions, tales from the underground, sounds from the future, and alien bodies recur in black writing, music, visual art, and performance. What is it about the black experience that solicits the fantastic? This course examines the futurist, speculative, and fantastic in the Black Arts. We will draw from a range of fiction, theory, visual art, and music to explore Afrofuturism as aesthetic, cultural movement, subjectivity, and literary genre. Possible authors include Toni Morrison, Octavia Butler, George Schuyler, Chester Himes, and Samuel Delany.
- ENGL 686: Teaching Composition: Theory and Practice (Category A Graduate)
700 Level Courses
Please also check other graduate offerings in MLLI, GWST, AMST, and LLC
for courses relevant to your interests.